Harrison, Marist advance in soccer semifinals

Charissa Gray

The girls soccer semifinals took place last night across the state to determine the participants for this weekend’s GHSA state championships. One defending champion advanced while two others fell in action last night.


Harrison 0 (4), Brookwood 0 (2) PKs: Harrison beat visiting Brookwood in penalty kicks after a scoreless regulation to advance to the Class AAAAAA state final Tuesday night. Junior goalie Allison Leone played all of regulation and overtime in goal for Harrison, but was replace by sophomore Kelsey Daugherty for penalty kicks. The Hoyas made all four of their shots while Daugherty made two saves for a 4-2 edge.

The Hoyas advance to their third finals in six seasons under head coach Steve Riccard, who made a few adjustments at halftime after the Broncos dominated the first half.

Parkview 2, South Forsyth 1: Host Parkview opened the scoring 15 minutes into the game when freshman Emma Carlson scored off an assist by sophomore Kristin Telford. Five minutes into the second half, the Panthers struck again, this time on a goal by Elizabeth Quintanilla. Junior goalie Mariah Garner allowed an unfortunate goal with 10 minutes left as a South Forsyth payer swung and missed, but the ball somehow found its way into the net off that player’s heel.



Northgate 2, McIntosh 1 (OT): Host Northgate had to survive a hailstorm of McIntosh corner kicks before gaining control of the game. McIntosh had 11 corner kicks, and on the ninth one, found Hannah Hartmann who headed it in with just 12 minutes left in the game. Northgate’s Lilly Barron tied it up to force overtime. In the first overtime period, Northgate set up the corner kick and Barron found space to take the shot. The attempt ricocheted off a Starr’s Mill defender and into the net for the goal, giving the Vikings the dramatic win.

Whitewater 3, Starr’s Mill 1: Starr’s Mill’s Jenna Currin scored opened the scoring to take the lead. Teegan VanGunst answered before halftime to tie it up for host Whitewater. Whitewater’s offensive standout, Brook Colangelo, injured her ankle this weekend, so freshman Aubrey Heard was called in to fill the gap. Heard scored the go-ahead goal just a minute into the second half, and Abbey Reddig put it away.


Class AAAA

Marist 7, Heritage-Catoosa 0: The visiting War Eagles scored four times in the first half to take a commanding lead. Sophomore Kelsey Carrier scored the first goal eight minutes into the match and the rout was on. Six Marist players scored, including Stephanie Krouskos, who found the net twice. Sophomore goalie Carlin Zaprowski was subbed for with about 10 minutes left.


Class AAA

St. Pius 7, Buford 3: Visiting St. Pius answered a 1-0 deficit with an unassisted goal by Tiffany Rodriquez and a goal by Mellissa Pagoaga before the half. Amanda Vocelka scored two goals to open the second half as well as the lead to 4-1. The Wolves cut the lead to 4-3 with 18 minutes left, and then Kirby Retherford, Kaitlyn Orman, and Lauren McKeever added a trio of goals to stamp the win. Goalkeeper Hannah Smith had big stops to minimize Buford’s furious comeback attempt.


Class AA

Greater Atlanta Christian 7, Wesleyan 0: The host Spartans scored all of their goals in the first half after Kayla Puzas scored just over two minutes in. GAC coach Troy Bendickson pulled all of his seniors except goalie Elizabeth White out at the half. Rachel Garcia scored a hat trick and had two assists while four other Spartans also got on the board. White played the whole game to earn the shutout.

Westminster 5, Lovett 0: The host Wildcats opened up a 3-0 halftime lead as senior Kathryn Murray scored the first two goals while an own goal by Lovett accounted for the third score. Junior Caroline Beadles found the net twice in the second half. Goalkeeper Carolina Heller kept the clean sheet for the Wildcats, who are trying to win state for the first time since 2006.


Class A

Fellowship Christian 2, Aquinas 1: Visiting Fellowship Christian’s Catherine Council scored at the 10-minute mark, but Aquinas tied it up on a bizarre play in the second half. Sydney Thompson’s throw-in was aimed directly at the goal. It would not have counted had it gone in, but Paladins’ goalkeeper Anna Soderlund was caught off guard by its velocity and it went off her and into the goal. The Paladins took the lead with 44 seconds left when freshman Alexandra Lear found an opening in traffic to poke in the game-winner.

Paideia 2, First Presbyterian 1: Host Paideia took a 1-0 advantage into halftime with the first of Helen Samuel’s two goals. The Pythons set the pace and took more than double the total shots as the Vikings. Samuel scored again late in the second half to put Paideia up 2-0 with just five minutes left. Atalia Ramirez got Vikings on the board three minutes later, but that was all sophomore Paidiea goaltender Alex Clark allowed.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply